Embossing folders are an easy way for you to take your handmade cards from nice to WOW!
They add texture and design to your card stock and are available in a wide variety of designs.
In this Big Shot Tutorial: How to Use Embossing Folders, I’m going to show you how to use different types of embossing folders with your Big Shot so you’ll know how to make your Big Shot sandwich for each type of folder for great results every time.
What you’ll need:
- A Big Shot Platform OR a hinged Multi-Purpose Platform open to Tab 1
- 2 Clear Cutting Plates
- 1 Blue 3D Embossing Plate OR at least FOUR ½ sheets of card stock (5-1/2 x 8-1/2)
- Big Shot
Of course, you can use embossing folders with other die-cutting/embossing machines as well but today I’m just going to show you how to use them with a Sizzix Big Shot.
Watch this video for tips on how to build your Big Shot sandwiches for the different types of embossing folders:
I have 3 different kinds of embossing folders
- 3D with SIZZIX branding
- 3D in the new Stampin’ Up! Design
Each type of embossing folder requires a different “sandwich” or layering of elements to run through the Big Shot and emboss the design into your card stock.
I’ve created a printable guide to help you remember what sandwich you need for each type of folder.
You might want to add numbers to your folders with a Sharpie so you can easily match up the number to the guide when you want to use a particular folder.
Big Shot Sandwiches with Big Shot Platform
- Platform – Clear Cutting Plate – Embossing Folder – Clear Cutting Plate
- Platform – Embossing Folder – Clear Cutting Plate
- Platform – Embossing Folder – BLUE Cutting Plate OR Clear Cutting Plate with # of half sheets of card stock
Big Shot Sandwiches with Multi-Purpose Hinged Platform
- Platform open to Tab 1 – Clear Cutting Plate – Embossing Folder – Clear Cutting Plate
- Platform open to Tab 1 – Embossing Folder – Clear Cutting Plate
- Platform open to Tab 1– Embossing Folder – BLUE Cutting Plate OR Clear Cutting Plate with # of half sheets of card stock
P.S. Need some new folder designs? Shop for Embossing Folders here.