Today we are going back to school with the Chalkboard technique for cards!
Basic White card base: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ scored at 4-1/4″
Kraft paper: 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″
Cajun Craze: 4″ x 5-1/4″ embossed with Leaf Fall 3D embossing folder
Basic Black card stock cut with Scalloped Contour die
When you stamp with white ink on black card stock, it looks like it’s been written with chalk!
In this video, I’m going to show you how to do the Chalkboard Technique on your handmade cards and show you four different options for this technique.
Chalkboard Technique Tips:
- The Stampin’ Up! White Stamp Pad comes uninked so be sure to watch the video above for tips on how to add ink to it. You’ll want to keep a plastic spoon handy!
- Use the Stamparatus so that you can reink and stamp multiple times to get the look you want.
- Use setting 1 on your heat tool to dry the white ink faster. You can also let it set out to dry. I like to stamp my white images in the evening and let them dry overnight so I know for sure they will be ready to make into cards the next morning and I won’t accidentally smear my images. I’m impatient!
- If you like a brighter white image, you can emboss it with white embossing powder after stamping your image. Use setting 2 on the heat tool for embossing.
- Use a sponge dauber, sponge, or blending brush to make your black card stock look like an erased chalkbaoard. Go light with your white ink!!!! Watch the video above for tips on adding white ink to your background.
The chalkboard technique looks great on Christmas cards and cards for all occasions, so I hope you’ll give it a try.
P.S. This technique is also on my Fall Stamping List. Download it here. It’s a bucket list of stamping and card making ideas that you can try, as well as ideas for cards you can send to encourage people.
Looking for another fun technique to try? Why not try your hand at the Faux Silk Technique!
Shop for Supplies:
Get more card making tips & tricks!
Subscribe to get more card making ideas from Jessica by email.
Wow, Jessica, I really appreciated the information you shared about reinking the white craft pad. It was very helpful!
Oh good, I’m so glad that was helpful for you! Thanks for letting me know.
Thanks for sharing. Will have to give this a try.
You’re welcome, I hope you try it and like it!