Looking for a new stamping technique to try? The Spotlighting Technique is a great way to highlight your detailed stamp images without having to color in the whole thing!
There are a variety of ways that you can make a card with the spotlighting technique and today I’m going to give you some tips on how I made the two spotlight cards above.
The first thing you want to do is look at your stamp image and pick the spot you want to highlight.
Whisper White: 3-3/4″ x 5″
Basic Black: 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″
Magneta Madness: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ scored at 4-1/4″
For the first card, I chose to spotlight the flowers in the center of the stamp.
- Stamp the flowers once on the white background card stock and once on another piece of white card stock. I used a circle die, but if you are going to use a circle punch just make sure to stamp your image closer to the edge of the paper.
- Cut a circle out of the second stamped piece and color the flowers inside the circle.
- Line up your circle image with the image stamped on the background and tape it into place. You can add a layer of card stock in between like I did, but you don’t have to.
Whisper White card base: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ scored at 4-1/4″
Whisper White: 4″ x 5-1/4″
Whisper White square die: 2-7/8″ x 2-7/8″
Basic Black: 3″ x 3″
For the second card, I chose to spotlight the flowers on the edges of the stamp.
- Stamp the greeting words in the center of a 4″ x 5-1/4″ piece of Whisper White card stock.
- Stamp the flower image in two opposite corners of that same piece of card stock.
- Cut the center out with a square die. This is the easiest way to line up multiple images.
- Color the flowers on the square you cut out and tape to a card stock mat that is just a little bit larger than the square die you used.
- Line up your stamp images and tape your square over your background piece.
I colored the flowers in with watercolor pencils and a blender pen then used a blender pen to add a little Magenta Madness ink from the lid of my ink pad.
Here’s a video with tips on how to color with a blender pen: https://youtu.be/Uq9VgMe-hzs
You can do the spotlighting technique with different shapes!
Take a look at your punches and dies and experiment with shapes beyond circles and squares.
I do hope you’ll give this technique a try. Make a card & send it to a friend!
Shop for Supplies:
Get more card making tips & tricks!
Subscribe to get more card making ideas from Jessica by email.